Copycat recipes for fast food joints like KFC and McDonalds can be found all over the internet. Ever since my college years, I’ve searched far and wide for reliable fast food recipes that I can prepare at home, but most have left me disappointed, surrounded by mess and wishing that I’d just headed over to KFC or McDonalds instead.
As part of a new series of DiscoverHow Food Guides on fast food, I’ll be posting my favourite, tried and true fast food recipes, starting with my favourite – a substitute recipe that tastes just like KFC’s Popcorn Chicken.
Popcorn Chicken Recipe
By far, the best popcorn chicken recipe I’ve come across can be found on Betty’s Kitchen on YouTube. All credit for the recipe goes to Betty and her channel, but for those of you who’d like a popcorn chicken recipe to refer to on your phone or tablet, here’s the recipe in text format:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, crushed
- 900 grams (2 pounds) uncooked chicken breast meat, cut into chunks — sized to your liking
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs — beaten
- ¼ cup peanut oil — more, if needed
- Cut the chicken into small, bite-sized chunks.
- Combine half of the spice mix with the chicken and rub into the meat, making sure there is even coverage.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and mix the rest of the spice mix in with the flour.Beat the eggs into a small bowl. This will be your ‘egg wash’.
- Set a small frying pan to medium heat and fill with peanut oil. The oil in the pan should be just over 1cm (about 0.5″) deep to shallow fry the chicken.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and dip it piece by piece in the egg wash. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly coated.
- Take the chicken out of the egg wash and roll it around in the flour and spice mix.
- Carefully place the chicken in the fry pan and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Allow the chicken to rest on kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.